Pages

Monday, June 27, 2016

All Aboard for All My Secrets...

Happy Day to You,
Today I'm sharing some inspiration from LDRS Creative.
Using:
Creative Basics - Stitched Flags
Creative Basics - Basic Background Builders I
DoveArt Studios - Train Depot
In today's project, I'm going to show you some of my tips and tricks for getting the most out of your dies. Many others use these techniques as well and it's super easy.
I'm going to skip pics for the traditional portion of card making. I tend to get piccy heavy anyway.
Starting out, I'm going to take my white card stock for my base;
cutting it the width of my finished card top.
I've used the Flag Die here and placed it to determine how long my card needs to be.
For this project, I'm going to use the die in it's exact length to make things simpler.
 I've cut my paper just a little bigger to allow the die to cut nicely.
Score and fold in half just like you do every time.







Firstly I going to mark where I want the card top edge placed on my finished card. This gives me my STOP point when using my die.









Then laying your folded edge along the top of the die; place it just below the cutting edge so it does NOT cut but adds the detail the die has at its top.





Place the cutting plate ONLY on the portion you want cut. So I will line up with the line I made previously. I also lay my card topper on for a double check of placement.
Remove you card topper and run through machine.
Note: you can tape he die/carstock to keep them from shifting. I tend to tear my cardstock so I just go au natural.


Here I'm going to line up the top so that the botton and top are even. Even though I'm not cutting all the way down, we want it to be straight.
One of the coolest things about these dies is that their indentions are so deep and precise that I can easily slide my die back on the cut card stock and they basically reattach. This make this process so much easier.






Just like before, I'm only placing the stack plate on the area I want cut.


Once I'm done, I'll need to cut those pieces down for my card top. I use my slicer for a clean, straight line. Make sure to be careful not to cut past the line. I suggest marking lightly in area that will be visible when cutting.
Another great thing about this technique is you can actually make it longer than the original die; just make a line alone the sides of the die and extend the die down farther before cutting the bottom.





I've used the next die size down but I wanted my layer to have less gap. Since I'm covering up a good portion of it, I snipped it in half and lowered it to where I wanted it.
Note: Ever wish you had a way to use your smaller scraps? This is perfect for that.




Now that I've lessened the gap on the bottom; I have to do it on the top as well. This is how I accomplish that.
Slide the edge over just a bit and cut only that portion. Just as we've done through the whole process.
And here we go, My finished card.
copics used:
Train: R89, 37, 32, Y28, 26, 21, 100, N8, 5, 3
Building: E79, 71, 29, 81
Trees: G24, 85, 95, 93, 99
Dirt: E71, 70, 34, T1

I hope you've enjoyed today's post.
Let me know what you think.
Did I leave details out?
Did you learn anything new?
I love to hear from you.

Big Hugs,
Dorinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for spending time in My Little World today. I do hope you enjoyed your stay.